Re: Why does GNOME take so much time to tell that a screensaver-introduced password is erroneous?

On 06/21/2010 04:47 PM, Celejar wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 23:35:37 +0200
Merciadri Luca<Luca.Merciadri@student.ulg.ac.be>  wrote:

Hi,

I use GNOME.

I have noticed that if I type some erroneous password to leave the
screensaver mode, GNOME takes ~3 or 4 secs. to tell me that it is
erroneous. If I type the correct password, I am directly sent in my
session. Why does it take so much time to tell me that a password is
erroneous? I can even know if I made a typo by looking at how much time
it takes!

Same thing with xscreensaver.  I think that a lot of software that asks
for a password behaves like this, perhaps to prevent brute-forcing?
I'm not sure if brute-forcing is possible on a GUI, though.

Since I notice the same issue when logging in from the console, could it be a problem with libpam?

--
Seek truth from facts.