Re: Torrents killing my connection

On 06/21/2010 12:01 AM, Robert Holtzman wrote:
On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 11:44:17PM -0400, ABS Doug wrote:

             .........snip........

    Ok now I REALIZE what people have been trying to communicate. I
hope I can help those smarter than I... please REALIZE, we noobs don't
even KNOW what info to give until the "pros" ask! Dmesg? Ok, I know I
type that in terminal&  post what happens next, but I don't know what
Dmesg is or how it helps until someone asks! I'd LOVE to progress
further to know all about Dmesg, but until someone brings it up, I
don't know about a LOT of stuff!

It sounds like the most effective thing you could do would be to pick up
a comprehensive Linux book and spend some quality time with it.

I found the best way was to install Mandrake (the Ubuntu of it's day) and then, as much as possible at any one time, use CLI tools instead of GUI tools.

At first that meant lots'o'GUI and little cli, but that changed over time. Knowing how to program and having deep CLI/scripting experience on a minicomputer surely helped.

Also, having a *task* to accomplish always helps focus the mind.

--
Seek truth from facts.