Re: [OT] First computer

I learned programming in 1963 (now that's OLD).

My first computer was the IBM 1620. The first desktop, or should I say, desk
(the whole thing). No OS. Used punched cards (OOOLLLLDDDD).
Had a crippled FORTRAN compiler, assembler, little else, but had a unique
variable word-length architecture and did arithmetic by table look-up so could
do some funny math. Debugging by turning a dial and seeing what lights were
lit (register bits on).

Did some linear algebra with the FORTRAN but that was no fun.

I had this thing translating Spanish to English, programmed in assembler.
Program had overlaid subroutines (made by making a deck without the boot-
loader cards) to handle language-specific processing, i.e. grammar. Had two
dictionaries, one with word-endings and one with plain words and word-roots. I
stored just enough into the very limited memory for proof of concept. Brute
force look-up, hadn't learned of anything better yet. 1963.