Re: How do I back up a running system?

Robert S wrote:
I have debian running on a "headless" system. I'd like to back the entire system up. Its difficult with a bootable disk without a monitor (so Clonezilla etc are out). I've tried mondoarchive but it usually bails out before it completes the backup.

And what does mondoarchive.log say?

mondoarchive gets up to here then nothing happens (for several hours):

---evalcall---E---
---evalcall---1---      Dividing filelist into sets
---evalcall---2--- TASK:  [********************]  97% done;  0:01 to go
---evalcall---E---
---evalcall---1---      Dividing filelist into sets
---evalcall---2--- TASK:  [********************]  98% done;  0:01 to go
---evalcall---E---
Your backup will occupy one meeeeellion media! (maybe 10)
Done.
Copying Mondo's core files to the scratch directory
Done.
Calling MINDI to create boot+data disks
Your boot loader is GRUB and it boots from /dev/sda
/var/tmp/mondo-temp/tmp.mondo.9418/tmp.mondo.8981

The log gets this far then nothing happens:

# tail /var/log/mondo-archive.log
You are using Mindi-Linux v2.2.0-r881 to make boot+data disks
Analyzing dependency requirements                               Done.
Making complete dependency list 100% |cp: cannot stat `/usr/games/petris': No such file or directory
Cannot find /usr/games/petris. You will not
be able to play petris during restore.
                                                                Done.
Analyzing your keyboard's configuration.

Adding the following keyboard mapping tables:                   Done.
Dropping i686-optimized libraries if appropriate.

I am running mondoarchive with the following options:

mondoarchive -OiF -k /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26-2-686 -d /var/tmp/mondoarchive -S /var/tmp/mondo-scratch -T /var/tmp/mondo-temp -E "/home /mnt /root/packages /var/cache/apt/archives"

I get the same result when I run it without the -k option

I don't know what version that is: I run Mindi v2.0.7.2-r2575 and Mondo Archive v2.2.9.3-r2622.
If I were in your situation I would download the latest from upstream:
http://mondorescue.muskokamug.org/debian/5.0/
because Debian is backleveled, do it again, and then save my mondoarchive + mindi logs in their entirety and post the error and the logs on the mondo forum where the response is excellent:
mondo-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
and also post what you posted here: your calling parameters, and see what Bruno Cornec says, he is the lead developer and on top of things.

Hugo