Re: Triple boot with MS XP

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 09:13:11PM -0700, ABSDoug wrote:
> If this isn't on topic, sorry ahead of time & perhaps you can point me in the right place?
>
> I've been reading up on having a separate partition for your /home files. For quite some time, I've been using a ntfs partition named "storage" as it makes re-install or fresh install of OS much easier. While it's WAAAAAY neat that two different distros of Linux can share the /home partition, I still need MS at times. I figure I can't be the only one, but after looking on the net, I couldn't decide the best way. I could use Linux to pull files off of the MS XP ntfs partition easy enough, but it seems cheesy. All the options to allow XP to see the Linux partition have permission issues as well as hidden extensions that can't be hidden. Dangerous trumps cheesy. It would seem grabbing what I need in XP partition from within Linux is the answer... is there something I've overlooked? I'm gunna get into virtualization at some point, but I'm just not ready to nuke XP, there are times it's the only thing I can get to work (like my Netbook internal 3G)

For virtualization, check out virtualbox-ose.  It will run Windows XP
just fine from your Debian system.  Backports.org has a much newer
version than what is in the standard Lenny repositories.

There are Windows drivers available to access ext2 partitions (and maybe
ext3 partitions), but I have never used them.  I only know they exist.

For my parents, who dual boot XP and Ubuntu, I set up a separate FAT32
partition.  It is readable/writable by both Windows and Linux.

Accessing an NTFS drive from Linux seems pretty safe these days, even if
most of the drivers for doing so are loaded with caution statements.

My preference is to not let /home be writable by Windows.  Windows is
likely to get malware, so I'd rather limit what it can access in terms
of my files.

-Rob