Re: Triple boot with MS XP

On Ma, 15 iun 10, 21:13:11, ABSDoug wrote:
> If this isn't on topic, sorry ahead of time & perhaps you can point me in the right place?
>
> I've been reading up on having a separate partition for your /home
> files. For quite some time, I've been using a ntfs partition named
> "storage" as it makes re-install or fresh install of OS much easier.

Yep.

> While it's WAAAAAY neat that two different distros of Linux can share
> the /home partition, I still need MS at times. I figure I can't be the
> only one, but after looking on the net, I couldn't decide the best
> way. I could use Linux to pull files off of the MS XP ntfs partition
> easy enough, but it seems cheesy. All the options to allow XP to see
> the Linux partition have permission issues as well as hidden
> extensions that can't be hidden. Dangerous trumps cheesy. It would
> seem grabbing what I need in XP partition from within Linux is the
> answer... is there something I've overlooked? I'm gunna get into
> virtualization at some point, but I'm just not ready to nuke XP, there
> are times it's the only thing I can get to work (like my Netbook
> internal 3G)

If this is a single-user system it should be enough to have all the
shared data on the NTFS partition and have a line like this in fstab:

LABEL=storage  /home/abs/storage ntfs-3g    uid=1000,gid=1000,fmask=113,dmask=002,users 0

(labels are safer than device names and I assumed abs is your username)

The uid= and gid= parameters should match your uid and gid. Use 'id' to
find them out (most probably 1000). Also make sure you install the
package ntfs-3g. For the other parameters see 'man mount'.

Regards,
Andrei