Re: Backups - was: Re: LVM

On 06/15/2010 09:48 AM, Lisi wrote:

Thanks for this.  I was originally responding to Andrew's saying:
<quote>
There are many many ways to make take backups beyond having a disk big
enough to hold the data.
</quote>

I can think of very few - and was interested in what he was thinking of.
Incremental/differential backups are not really practical, since she will be
at school.  A periodic dd (or Clonezilla?) of the whole drive and more
frequent updates of her personal data (of which I understand that there is
not much) would be the optimum, but a trifle pricey, so I am still looking at
alternative possibilities.

I wrote a script that only backs up our data directories (including much of /home) into a bunch of tarballs, excluding "junk" folders like caches, thumbnails, trash, etc, and compressing most but not stuff like image and OOo document directories.

Each backup goes in a separate, dated directory.

For huge binary directories (like uncompressible video and audio), I simply do a "cp -vau" from the "live" tree to the backup tree.

The bottom line, though, is that *yes*, you *do* need enough disk space for the backup data.

--
Seek truth from facts.