Re: Re (2): telnetd in Squeeze; was new authentication mechanism in Squeeze?

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 11:03:50AM -0700, peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:
> From:	Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnso.@cox.ne.>
> Date:	Sun, 13 Jun 2010 20:23:50 -0500
> > (Presumably you know that telnet is considered a Bad Idea Who's Time
> > Has Passed?)
>
> Telnet is used only between machines inside my
> Shorewalled network.
>
> > What error(s) are you getting?
>
> ETHNO telnetting to Squeeze.
> Trying ...
> dalton.invalid not opened
>
> Lenny telnetting to Squeeze.
> peter@joule:~$ telnet dalton.invalid
> Trying 10.4.0.2...
> peter@joule:~$
>
> From:	Mark Allums <mark@allums.co.>
> Date:	Sun, 13 Jun 2010 21:58:17 -0500
> > What about ssh?
>
> ssh from Lenny to Squeeze works just as well
> as ever.
>
> > VNC?
>
> Have yet to try it with Squeeze.
>
> > RDP?
>
> Never used it.
>
> From:	Tzafrir Cohen <tzafri.@cohens.or..il>
> Date:	Mon, 14 Jun 2010 12:51:46 +0000
> > Which is why Real Men use telnet, but the rest of us sane folks use ssh.
>
> With my clunky old hardware, telnet from Heaviside
> to Joule or Dalton opens in about 1 s.  ssh requires
> about 15 s.

I recall preferring rsh to ssh when working on s390 for the very
same reason.

However, one useful feature of ssh (that did not exist at the time) is
that you can use one existing connection. In .ssh/config:

Host *
        ControlMaster = auto
        ControlPath = ~/.ssh/control/%h__%p__%r__%l

This means that the first connection to the system will have the full 15
seconds of handshaking. But the next one will simply connect on top of
an existing connection. I suspect it would even be less than the 1
second for the telnet connection.

If you have a number of simultanious connections, it may help.
Alternatively, start a single "control connection" when you start
working, and keep it working for as long as you need it.

> Please don't tell me to get faster
> computers unless citing a specific liability from
> Shorewall.

Isn't shorewall rather famous for producing not-so-efficient iptabnles
rules?

> Does anyone out there have a network with at least
> one machine running Squeeze?  Would be nice to to
> confirm the failure or hear of a successful connection.

You try to login (from telnet) as root? If so: see securetty and such.

tzafrir@debian.org    |                    | friend