Re (2): telnetd in Squeeze; was new authentication mechanism in Squeeze?

From:	Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnso.@cox.ne.>
Date:	Sun, 13 Jun 2010 20:23:50 -0500
> (Presumably you know that telnet is considered a Bad Idea Who's Time
> Has Passed?)

Telnet is used only between machines inside my
Shorewalled network.

> What error(s) are you getting?

ETHNO telnetting to Squeeze.
Trying ...
dalton.invalid not opened

Lenny telnetting to Squeeze.
peter@joule:~$ telnet dalton.invalid
Trying 10.4.0.2...
peter@joule:~$

From:	Mark Allums <mark@allums.co.>
Date:	Sun, 13 Jun 2010 21:58:17 -0500
> What about ssh?

ssh from Lenny to Squeeze works just as well
as ever.

> VNC?

Have yet to try it with Squeeze.

> RDP?

Never used it.

From:	Tzafrir Cohen <tzafri.@cohens.or..il>
Date:	Mon, 14 Jun 2010 12:51:46 +0000
> Which is why Real Men use telnet, but the rest of us sane folks use ssh.

With my clunky old hardware, telnet from Heaviside
to Joule or Dalton opens in about 1 s.  ssh requires
about 15 s.  Please don't tell me to get faster
computers unless citing a specific liability from
Shorewall.

Does anyone out there have a network with at least
one machine running Squeeze?  Would be nice to to
confirm the failure or hear of a successful connection.

Thanks,          ... Peter E.

--
Carnot is down, waiting for a disk replacement.
Personal site works;  http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/ .