Re: Enigmail: why couldn't I sign an HTML message?

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 17:43:20 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> Camaleón writes:

>> ***
>> http://enigmail.mozdev.org/documentation/quickstart-ch3.php#id2533703

> Thanks. It looks like you have some real expertise in search engines. I
> did more than 10,000 Google searches, but you're (still) better than me.
> I always try to find the answer to my problems and questions by myself
> before asking others, though.
>
> Thanks!

You're welcome :-)

But this time I did not use Google. I went directly to Enigmail site to
find any information about the HTML formatted e-mails and the use of PGP
because the question you are wondering is something anyone would wonder
(HTML is a very common option nowadays) and should have been already
documented.

Besides, it seems you can use HTML format but then you shouldn't use
inline PGP but PGP/MIME that seems to be not compatible with some e-mail
clients. It is documented here:

***
http://www.rainydayz.org/node/91

(...)

By default, Enigmail uses a standard called inline PGP for signed and/or
encrypted messages. Checking the option Use PGP/MIME by default tells
Enigmail to use the PGP/MIME standard instead of inline PGP. PGP/MIME is
defined in RFC 3156 and offers additional features such as attachments
encryption together with the message body, and support for encryption of
messages that use HTML format and special character sets. Unfortunately
PGP/MIME is not supported by all mailclients; those that currently are
compatible with it are Enigmail, Apple Mail, Becky, Evolution, KMail,
Mulberry, Sylpheed, and The Bat!.
***

The choice is yours :-)

Greetings,