Re: debian architecture history question

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 22:39, Aaron Toponce <aaron.toponce@gmail.com> wrote:
On 6/11/2010 11:03 AM, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> I'm not exactly sure what the policy is for packages in the i386 archives in
> general, but I believe they are supposed to have -586 or -686 in their package
> name is they require those instruction sets.  Some of the A/V codec libraries
> had stuff like that for a while, IIRC.  I believe currently they auto-probe
> for the processor features and use what is available at runtime.

Other than the kernel, which is compiled for 686 instruction sets, and
maybe a few core packages that would benefit from targeting the 686
architecture, Debian compiles the rest of the packages against 386.

--
. O .   O . O   . . O   O . .   . O .
. . O   . O O   O . O   . O O   . . O

There is no 386 kernel available.  Kernel starts from 486 only.