debian architecture history question

I'm in the process of working a bug on my desktop PC.  The CPU is a
Semperon (32bit AMD).  I recall that I once used i686. But now I think
I am using i386. When I make a bug report, reportbug includes the
line:
"Architecture: i386 (i686)"

I guess that i686 has somehow been merged into i386, but I cannot
confirm this guess by googling. I only get old discussion, nothing
announcing a resolution to the discussion. I'm sure there is an
announcement somewhere that explains how the issue was resolved
and why everyone should be happy. I'd like to read it and be happy.
But I can't find it.

Please help.

--
Paul E Condon