aptitude can't find a package? (was Re: Configuring java plugin for iceweasel on amd64)

On 06/12/2010 10:33 AM, Peter Tenenbaum wrote:
Eduardo -- thanks, your fix worked!  I now have Java working correctly
on iceweasel.

Ron -- I'm having a problem which is unrelated to the one I posted on.

Then let's not hijack threads.  Very bad manners!

For some reason I can't get aptitude to locate and install packages
which are clearly visible in the repository.

Without showing us the exact search command along with it's output, how can we know exactly what you did?

(Unless, of course, you used ncurses mode. That's why you try CLI mode.)

                                             This happened earlier with
my evince upgrade, which I ultimately achieved via gdebi.  This time I
went to synaptic and it was able to locate and install the
sun-java6-plugin package.  In both cases aptitude was not able to locate
the package.  Eventually I'll have to figure out what the problem is,
but so far I've just worked around it.

Presumably you did an "aptitude update"?

--
"There is usually only a limited amount of damage that can be
done by dull or stupid people. For creating a truly monumental