Re: Mutt and GPG - claims ALL signatures can't be verified

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 08:48:09PM +0300, Alexander Batischev wrote:
> I'm using mutt for about a month already. Almost all problems already solved, I
> successfully moved to IMAP. It's time to get GPG signing to work.
>
> As you probably noticed, all my messages are signed. But when I open any--even
> my own!--message, mutt tells me that PGP signature can NOT be verified. Which
> is more interesting, I did not have that problem before I imported my secure
> key (it was stored on desktop; now I'm mostly use netbook). I mean, I had PGP
> set but I didn't have secure key so I did not sign my messages, just verify
> other's.
>
> I did some little research on the web. It seems that problem is pretty popular,
> and most common answer is to set pgp_good_sign in muttrc. As far as I copied my
> GPG config from Mutt GnuPG HowTo[1], I already had that option set. I also
> tried to set it to the following:
>
>     set pgp_good_sign="`gettext -d gnupg -s 'Good signature from "' | tr -d '"'`"
>
> which, as I could understand, is just a trick to add sender's name to GPG's
> verification message, but it didn't solve my problem. I also tried to not set
> this option, with no luck. Does anyone have any advice?
>
> My .muttrc attached.
>

>     1. http://codesorcery.net/old/mutt/mutt-gnupg-howto

I'm using Mutt and GPG, and it's working fine.  I'm pretty sure all my
system config files for Mutt and GPG are untouched.  Here are the
relevant GPG lines from my .muttrc.  Don't ask me to explain them, they
are copy-and-pasted from some website somewhere (by the way, I remember
having a lot of trouble finding a website that had accurate information
on how to do this).

# GPG / PGP rules

set pgp_encrypt_only_command="/usr/lib/mutt/pgpewrap gpg --batch --quiet --no-verbose --output - --encrypt-to 70952D9D --encrypt --textmode --armor --always-trust -- -r %r -- %f"

set pgp_encrypt_sign_command="/usr/lib/mutt/pgpewrap gpg %?p?--passphrase-fd 0? --batch --quiet --no-verbose --textmode --output - --encrypt-to 70952D9D --encrypt --sign %?a?-u %a? --armor --always-trust -- -r %r -- %f"

# no encryption or signature by default:
send-hook . 'set pgp_autosign=no; set pgp_autoencrypt=no'

# always encrypt and sign to some recipients:
send-hook '~t "(user@domain.com|user2@domain.com|otheruser@domain.net)"'    'set pgp_autosign=yes; set pgp_autoencrypt=yes'

For GUIs, I like seahorse and thunderbird's enigmail GUI (even if you're
not using thunderbird/icedove for email, the GPG GUI is helpful).

If this problem started when you imported your private key, then maybe
that was not done correctly.  Is there a step that needs to be taken
besides simply importing?  (I don't know the answer to that).

Maybe you should take this outside of Mutt and see what happens.  Can
you sign a file and then verify its signature?  You might at least get
more helpful error messages this way.

-Rob