Re: possible serious problem with Debian 5.0 installation partitioning

Earlier today, I wrote:

> The problem I am experiencing was documented on this list nearly a year
ago, in a posting by Giorgos Pallas, to whom I'm cc'ing a copy of this
message, at:

>     http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2009/07/msg00171.html
>
> It appears, however, that the problem reported there was not really
resolved at the time.  To make a long story short, it seems to me that the
partitioning procedure in the installation script for Debian 5.04, which uses
"partman," will not permit one to create an encrypted LVM partition that is
less than the full size of the device onto which Debian is being installed...

Hmmm.  At least this part of my problem appears to be on the way to being
resolved.  Playing with the installation procedure has finally led me to
being able to figure out how to create an encrypted LVM partition, without
involving the entire disk.

Now I have to try to figure out whether the other problem I reported - losing
my old file system is something I can blame myself for or if there is a
chance partman is responsible.

Sorry for the false alarm.