Re: Debian asking for DVD... (FYI)

On Wed, Jun 09, 2010 at 07:31:20PM -0700, ABSDoug wrote:
> If you boot up a fresh install of Debian & after you boot up, plug in your Ethernet cable & try to add software,
> Debian asks for the install disk. If you plug in Ethernet BEFORE you boot up it will look online for software.

Think :) - This is by design, particularly if you consider the use of network install media.

1. Rare case now - you have no network at all. All installation must be done from CDs / DVDs. The apt sources
list points to the DVD install media by default (You have nothing else, right?).

2. You boot from the netinst / business card CDs [PXE boot optional].
There is only enough on the disk to find a network,bootstrap a kernel and carry on [business card/PXE]
or to install a bare bones base system in addition [netinst - at about 100-150MB] If your network
isn't connected, you lose (and should get an error message somewhere).

3. You boot from the DVD _and_ a network cable is found. At this point, you're asked whether you want to use
the network. In Testing at the moment, I think the message is even something along the lines of "You're currently
installing from a CD/DVD - do you want to use netwrok repositories?"

If you're on an isolated network / behind a firewall which doesn't allow Internet access / at a friend's house
and don't want their router to configure your DHCP - you might want to carry on using the CD/DVD. If you say "No"
to the network, you should still get the DVD as your primary apt source.

If you say yes, then the DVD entry in /etc/apt/sources.list should be commented out with a # as part of the final
clean up process.

If all else fails _ALWAYS_ check the /etc/apt/sources.list file, as that should tell you what's what.
It is human editable and is read in order from top to bottom.

Hope this helps,

AndyC