Re: Web browsers, Adobe Flash & Debian

On Wed, Jun 09, 2010 at 10:07:15PM -0700, ABSDoug wrote:
> I've been Googling Ephathy vs Firefox vs Opera as well as Adobe Flash. I'm
> not sure what is the best direction to go.

Use what you like.

> I've got an iPhone, so I'm a bit familar with what sucks (& doesn't) about
> Adobe Flash. Without it, a good portion of the web is not accessable, unless
> there is something I'm missing?

Without it, a good portion of annoying advertisement are missing :) That's why
I have flash plugin installed but also have FlashBlock extension enabled in
Firefox so only trusted domains (like youtube, vimeo and few others) are
allowed.

>I also read a bit why Ubuntu uses Firefox & Debian doesn't. None of what I
> read was a decision maker. You can install Firefox or Opera, but I'm not sure
> of the easiest/best way. Is there a way/is the best way, to add something to
> "Software Sources"?

Iceweasel (Debian clone of Firefox) seem easier to me, as far as it's open
source and thus avaliable in official repositories, but you can install Opera
easily as well: Google → "opera debian" → [1]

> After a few bumps in the road, I'm finding Debian Stable as easy to use as
> Ubuntu. Thanks for all that helped, it is really cool of you.
Excuse me for rudeness, but: that's because you don't do much by yourself.
Have you ever read "How to Ask Questions in a Smart Way", nice howto by Eric
Steve Raymond? If no, my advice is to read it.
    1. http://wiki.debian.org/Opera
--
Regards,
Alexander Batischev

1024D/69093C81
F870 A381 B5F5 D2A1 1B35  4D63 A1A7 1C77 6909 3C81