Re: Debian asking for DVD... (FYI)

On Wed, Jun 09, 2010 at 07:31:20PM -0700, ABSDoug wrote:
> If you boot up a fresh install of Debian & after you boot up, plug in your
> Ethernet cable & try to add software, Debian asks for the install disk. If
> you plug in Ethernet BEFORE you boot up it will look online for software.

You already have an answer, it appeared in one of your (numerous) threads
few days ago:

On Tue, 8 Jun 2010 18:32:09 -0500, Neal Hogan wrote:
> When adding packages, your system needs to know where to look. To find
> out, it looks at the list in /etc/apt/sources.list. Take a look at
> that. You'll probably see that the first item(s) in the list refer to
> the install disk.  So, until you get internet connection, you're gonna
> need to use some other means . . . like the install disk to get
> packages.
>
> Once you get connected, DO SOME HOMEWORK and figure out how to edit
> that file so that the system does not want to look at the install disk
> all of the time, but rather "looks out" at the web.

So it's time to do homework!

> Instead of telling me to look it up, requiring me to reboot into another OS
> to get online, he just told me exactly what I needed to do. Now I can do all
> the learning & testing of Debian from INSIDE Debian. Thanks again Hugo!

Well, usually people want to learn, not just do what they're told to do. If you
have no willing to solve your problems by yourself (or at least *try* to do
so), Linux (probably) is not for you. That's my opinion, anyway.

--
Regards,
Alexander Batischev

1024D/69093C81
F870 A381 B5F5 D2A1 1B35  4D63 A1A7 1C77 6909 3C81