Re: Ordering init scripts & use of CONCURRENCY

On 2010-06-09 16:48 +0200, Arthur Machlas wrote:

> I changed my lsb header in the custom script (/etc/init.d/phc_vids) to:
> # Require-start: $acpi
>
> Then under /etc/insserv.conf I added the following line:
> $acpi +cpufrequtils +loadcpufreq
>
> Then ran:
> dpkg-reconfigure insserv

This is a no-op in Squeeze, you want to run the "insserv" command so
that the order of the symlinks in rc?.d is changed to reflect the
changed dependencies.

> All well and good. Unfortunately, I don't really understand what I've
> done. I was following the directions from the Debian LSB/insserv wiki,
> where I learned it is no longer possible to disable/uninstall insserv
> on Squeeze, so the tips I'd read on manually re-ordering the scripts
> by changing the numbers would no longer work. E.g., this doesn't work,
> or at least, not for long: $ mv /etc/rc2.d/S01phc_vids
> /etc/rc2.d/S03phc_vids

This will only last until the next insserv run, e.g. when a package
containing an init script is installed, removed or upgraded.  The
correct method to rearrange the boot order is to change the LSB headers,
as you did.

> Second, there are two ways, or so it seems, to enable concurrent boot.
> I.e., starting scripts in parallel.

Concurrent boot is the default nowadays.

> One method says to use
> CONCURRENCY=shell, and the other says CONCURRENCY=startpar

Both are obsolete aliases for CONCURRENCY=makefile (the default).

Sven