debian customizations

I would like to add the following customizations to my Debian system.  I'm wondering if anyone
knows of any already-existing projects for any of the tools I want.

archive tool:
        expands an archive somewhere under /var and creates a rw empty overlay somewhere
        under /home and the union is available via autofs

download tool:
        uses a download directory somewhere under /var until it is determined that the file is
        no longer available from the source, at which point it promotes it to /home.  Use unionfs
        to make the actual location unimportant.  Should work with common download options:
                wget, firefox, youtube-dl, rtorrent

        perhaps a script should be kept under /home to retrieve absent downloads in a restored
        /home or maybe just keep a list of URIs for absent downloads

usb key tool:
        usb key to authenticate user.  User may quickly pull out the usb key which will lock his
        desktop and chroot into guest mode to let a friend use the internet.

        autofs should mount usb disks as read only and gracefully handle instant removal.
        user should have ability to switch to read-write and use unmount.

ifupdown applet:
        GUI interface to ifupdown that is indistinguishable (apart from configuration) from the
        network-manager applet, including all animations.