Re: New to Debian (what I've done so far)

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 07, 2010 at 03:13:11PM -0700, ABSDoug wrote:
> 1st, tried to do "Installing Debian GNU/Linux via the Internet"
> (debian-504-i386-netinst.iso) but could not connect to wireless. At the time
> I did not have physical access to the router, but that can be done now if
> necessary.
On which hardware do you try to install it? I don't know how to get wifi to
work on installation if it's not working out of box, so I'm simply curious.

> 2nd, tried the big DVD image (debian-504-i386-DVD-1.iso).
Good idea, as far as you don't have Internet connection on installation time.

> Tried to run GUI, no go.
You mean graphic installer? If it doesn't work, try text mode - I assure you,
it isn't hard!

> Tried to install Gnome & got E: coundn't find package Gnome.
How did you try to install Gnome? Did you check "Install Desktop Environment"
in tasksel (this menu which appears on installation time)? Or did you installed
basic system (with no DE or WM, without xorg at all) and then try to run
aptitude install gnome? Please provide more information.

> That's where I'm at so far.
Btw, you don't need to start new thread each time you response. Keep whole
discussion in one thread, please - it's easier to follow (or not-follow)
and manage/search, then.

---
Regards,
Alexander Batischev