Re: Samba share not accessible from a VPN client

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 11:53 PM, H.S. <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:
On 07/06/10 04:27 PM, Javier Barroso wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 9:52 PM, H.S. <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> A little success. I commented out the following option from smb.conf and
>> now I can connect to the share from a VPN client:
>> ; interfaces = 127.0.0.0/8 172.16.15.0/24 192.168.5.0/24
>>

>> However, I can not only use "sudo smbmount ..." command to access the
>> samba share. The Network browser from Gnome still does not show the
>> share while a VPN client. The VPN client is a laptop running Ubuntu Karmic.
>>

> You may need to have 2 servers to do it (one replicating network map from
> master). Read in samba howto:
>
> http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/NetworkBrowsing.html#id2585378

I read the link but I need to read it again after looking up some
references in it to better understand it. However, I have one doubt that
needs to be clarified. As I described earlier, I have three separate
networks on my LAN:
wired network (192.168.0.0/24)
wireless network (192.168.5.0/24)
VPN (172.16.15.0/24)

When I start samba on the firewall machine "ROUTER" , I see the
following in its log:
 *****
 Samba name server ROUTER is now a local master browser for workgroup
ROUTERSMB on subnet 192.168.0.1
 *****
<SNIP>
 *****
 Samba name server ROUTER is now a local master browser for workgroup
ROUTERSMB on subnet 192.168.5.1

 *****

This leads me to two questions. If I can browse the share from both of
these networks, why can't I do so from VPN? And, on a related note, why
do only these two networks act as a local browser and why doesn't VPN
(172.16.15.0/24) also do so?
I would run tcpdump ... after starting samba server, and would take a look to elections Master Browser traffic.

Maybe broadcast packets are doing wrong things for you ?

Regards,