Re: FSCK seems angry with my filesystem

On Mon, Jun 07, 2010 at 01:12:36AM +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 00:53:20 +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> >> It will complain, but will it impede its `functioning'?
> >
> > It could impede its functioning if anything at all is written to the
> > disk while it is being checked.  I can imagine it resulting in
> > everything from nothing to minor problems to indescribable chaos.
> >
> > Don't go there if you value your data.
>
> And, of course, although I risk sounding like a broken record for saying
> this yet again, when you've got this fixed, make sure you have a backup
> of all your data.
>
> But if you already have a backup, don't overwrite it with anew one until
> you've fixed the problem and are sure that what you're backing up is
> correct.  It might even be worth dong a diff --recursive --brief (or
> something similar depending on how your backup works) between your file
> system and your backup and checking that the files that have changed are
> the ones you expect to have changed...

Further to this: a RAID is no infallible substitute for a backup of critical data.
A dying controller can write rubbish to your disks silently for days - even
if you just get a straightforward controller failure, you then have to treat all data
as potentially suspect for corruption.

Andy - who has lost one RAID to a controller failure and another to a failure of one disk
and unacceptable throughput - both in the space of about two weeks - both afer about 18 months
light-ish use.

If you have vital data, back it up into two or three places. If it's small enough, back it up
onto two or three different types of media - DVD-ROM, cheap flash drive _AND_ backup to hard disk
somewhere. If it's a document, save a copy in ASCII and/or print it. Have a good friend / family member
store some for you in their house - cheap "offsite" - on condition you store some for him/her.

Periodically, check you can get data back.

This is the counsel of perfection - no one EVER follows it - but if it saves someone's online life, business
, marriage or whatever, it'll be worth it :)

All best,

AndyC