Re: FSCK seems angry with my filesystem

On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 09:29:27AM +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When booting my computer this morning, fsck was not happy. Here is what
> it said:
>
> ==
> # cat /var/log/fsck/checkfs
> Log of fsck -C -R -A -a
> Tue Jun  1 09:00:07 2010
>
> fsck 1.41.3 (12-Oct-2008)
> /dev/sdc5 has been mounted 50 times without being checked, check forced.
> /dev/sdc5: Inode 18554881 is in use, but has dtime set.  FIXED.
> /dev/sdc5: Inode 18554881 has imagic flag set.
>
> /dev/sdc5: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
>     (i.e., without -a or -p options)
> fsck died with exit status 4
> ==

e2fsck [-y] /dev/sdc5

[The optional -y answers "yes" to the prompts saying "Fix.[y/n]

e2fsck -a attempts an automatic fix of the commonest errors but is conservative and makes minimal
changes. If it fails / there's more than one thing wrong, it will bail out and ask for a manual fix, in
my experience anyway.

> What could I do when running fsck manually? Do I need to unmount the
> related filesystem (i.e. /dev/sdc5) to check it, or not? And what do I
> need to specify?

If you don't unmount it, e2fsck will complain. If need be, boot from a rescue disk to do so
- but I'm assuming that it's not the root (/) filesystem, or you wouldn't have got this far.

> Thanks.

Hope this helps,

All the best,

AndyC