Re: converting home network to IPv6; ppp, IPv6, dsnmasq and iptables

On 05/06/10 01:56 AM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> H.S. put forth on 6/4/2010 11:06 PM:
>

>> Also, I am supposed to dial the ppp connection and obtain an IPv6
>> address from my ISP (as opposed to using a static one).
>
> If this is truly the case, why did your ISP give you static IPv6 addresses?  I
> believe you misunderstand the situation.

Yes, quite likely I am not understanding this properly. So, I get that I
have a fixed IP range in IPv6.

>> Can somebody help in this problem?
>
> Yes, I can.  Disable dhcp6.  You've already bound a static IPv6 address to
> eth1 but you didn't configure a gateway address.  Configure a correct IPv6
> gateway address for eth1.  This should have been provided by your ISP along
> with the static IPv6 addresses.  If not, ask them for it.

That is what I had originally in mind. But I have read in some forums
that with my ISP pppoe connection obtains an IPv6 address. Let me call
up my ISP and clarify this. I will report back how it all goes.

> Once you have done these things and restarted your interfaces, test IPv6
> functionality from the firewall host itself, using ping, tracert, etc.  Don't
> bother testing IPv6 routing or NAT until you've verified you can ping a remote
> internet host over IPv6 directly from eth1.  After you've confirmed that you
> can tackle LAN host IPv6 issues, if any exist.

Okay.

Thanks.

ever having been read.