Re: converting home network to IPv6; ppp, IPv6, dsnmasq and iptables

On 02/06/10 02:20 PM, H.S. wrote:
> I have an ADSL connection for my home network. The ADSL modem is
> connected to an old box running Debian Testing which acts as a router
> and firewall.
> My ISP has given me an IPv6 address to try out. I have the username and
> password. Basically, I now need to convert my ppp connection to deal
> with IPv6 addresses and perhaps make changes to my iptables firewall and
> dnsmasq. The latter (dnsmasq) can wait, however.

ppp0 ----eth1         eth0-------LAN Switch---other computers
          |-Debian router-|

I have been given a username and two IPv6 network ranges:

I have done the following steps:
1. Used the new username and password for in my "dsl-provider" file for
pppoeconf (for pon and off). I have also added the ivp6 option in the
file (a line with "+ipv6").

2. Given static IPv6 address to eth0 and eth1:
#for IPv6 config
iface eth0 inet6 static
        address 1234:5678:pqrs:tuvn::01
        netmask 64
        network 1234:5678:pqrs:tuvn::
#for IPv6 config
iface eth1 inet6 static
        address 1234:5678:pqrs:tuvm::01
        netmask 64
        network 1234:5678:pqrs:tuvm::

3. Installed wide-dhcpv6-client and have the following in
interface ppp0 {
request domain-name-servers;
request domain-name;
send ia-pd 0;
script "/etc/wide-dhcpv6/dhcp6c-script";
id-assoc pd {
prefix-interface eth1 {
sla-id 0;
sla-len 4;

4. Inserted these rules as first rules in my firewall script (so that
LAN still functions on IPv4)
#allow all IPv6 traffic
... and enabled forwarding:
# echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/forwarding

5. Finally, added the default route for IPv6:
#> sudo route --inet6 add default dev ppp0

Now, I am able to establish a ppp connection, ppp0 gets formed but does
not get an IPv6 address. IPv4 address is obtained and work alright.
Anybody know what I am missing here? I have tried restarting various
services (dhcp6, networking, ppp, etc.). eth0 and eth1 get ipv4 and ipv6
addresses, but ppp0 remains on ipv4.

I am also not sure if the static IPv6 addresses given to eth0 and eth1
are correct.

Also, I am supposed to dial the ppp connection and obtain an IPv6
address from my ISP (as opposed to using a static one).

Can somebody help in this problem?

ever having been read.