Re: dist-upgrade to testing killed dual-monitors

On 06/03/2010 02:35 PM, Sven Joachim wrote:
On 2010-06-03 21:06 +0200, Kent West wrote:
So I figured I'd push on to Sid/unstable, to see if maybe I'd get
newer drivers that might solve this issue.

How interesting.....!

Now when I reboot (into the newly installed 2.6.32-5-686 #1 SMP
kernel, text on my screen prior to X starting is limited to just
larger than the top-left quadrant of my monitor's real estate.
The sid kernel has a new framebuffer driver for Nvidia cards called
nouveau.  Looks like it did not detect your monitor's resolution
correctly.

When X
is started, the same problem exists in that the displayed graphics are
limited to just larger than the upper-left quadrant of the
monitor.
Without an xorg.conf you're probably using the fbdev X driver right now,
since the nv driver is not compatible with the kernel modesetting
implemented by nouveau.  This will be fixed as soon as a new version of
xserver-xorg-core hits the mirrors; for now you can use the minimal
/usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-video-nouveau/examples/xorg.conf.

Any clue how I go about fixing these issues?
You may try booting with the video=… option, e.g. video=1280x1024 or
whatever your monitor's resolution is.

Sven

Where would I put this line?

I found /etc/default/grub which had this line:
#GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480

I uncommented that, and changed it to
GRUB_GFXMODE=1900x160

and ran update-grub and rebooted, which sort of fixed a problem I haven't talked about: after updating to sid originally, my monitor stayed dark after rebooting. I finally swapped out the monitor with another monitor, which allowed me to see the console finally. I fixed X enough to boot into a minimal system, and then while X was running, swapped back to my original monitor, which worked.

I'm guessing that something in the upgrade to sid left the video card in some state that is incompatible with the monitor, but once I was able to get it into X, that changed the video card's state so that it now worked with the monitor.

Since then, the tinkering I've done has allowed me to boot into console, using this monitor, but the monitor stays dark during the BIOS/grub stages. After making the change I outline above, I can now see the grub screen (but still no BIOS stage stuff).

However, it still did not fix my display so that I can see more than just the upper left quadrant of my monitor.

I think you're on the right track, that it's a console resolution/framebuffer thing (I don't understand what a framebuffer is, but I kind of think maybe it's a graphical mode simulation of the built-in text mode of the video card's hardware), and that your suggestion above may get me farther along, but I don't know what file to place that line, or what edit during the grub stage I need to make, etc.

Thanks for the help!

--
Kent West<*)))><
http://kentwest.blogspot.com