Re: dist-upgrade to testing killed dual-monitors

On 2010-06-03 21:06 +0200, Kent West wrote:

> On 06/03/2010 12:01 PM, Kent West wrote:
>> I've been running stable for the past half-year, but because I
>> couldn't get my printer to work with the hplij in stable, decided to
>> dist-upgrade to testing which has a version that supports my
>> printer.
>>
>> But when I dist-upgraded, my dual-monitor setup freezes my computer.
>>
>> If I remove my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, I can run X on a single monitor.
>>
>> If I run "X -configure" to create a new xorg.conf file, I get a
>> "Segmentation fault at address (nil)".
>>
>> I'm not sure where to go from here other than to post my
>> /var/log/Xorg.0.log from my attempt to run "X -configure".

IIRC this segfault is a known problem of the vmware driver.  You could
try to remove the xserver-xorg-video-vmware package.

>> I'll also attach my xorg.conf file which used to work in stable.
>>

> So I figured I'd push on to Sid/unstable, to see if maybe I'd get
> newer drivers that might solve this issue.
>
> How interesting.....!
>
> Now when I reboot (into the newly installed 2.6.32-5-686 #1 SMP
> kernel, text on my screen prior to X starting is limited to just
> larger than the top-left quadrant of my monitor's real estate.

The sid kernel has a new framebuffer driver for Nvidia cards called
nouveau.  Looks like it did not detect your monitor's resolution
correctly.

> When X
> is started, the same problem exists in that the displayed graphics are
> limited to just larger than the upper-left quadrant of the
> monitor.

Without an xorg.conf you're probably using the fbdev X driver right now,
since the nv driver is not compatible with the kernel modesetting
implemented by nouveau.  This will be fixed as soon as a new version of
xserver-xorg-core hits the mirrors; for now you can use the minimal
/usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-video-nouveau/examples/xorg.conf.

> Any clue how I go about fixing these issues?

You may try booting with the video=… option, e.g. video=1280x1024 or
whatever your monitor's resolution is.

Sven