Re: Running a program when computer enters/exits idle state

On Wed, Jun 02, 2010 at 11:42:54AM +0200, Klistvud wrote:
> Howdie, fellow Debianites!
>
> I've bee all over uncle G to crack this one, but to no avail. In short:
> how would you go about launching a program when the computer is idle,
> and launching another program when the computer stops being idle?

I wanted to do this too, but wanted to dim my screen on idle, and have
it come back on input under X11. I don't run gnome or kde, so didn't
want to use one of their power managers for this. I couldn't find
anything, so I wrote my own.

I don't know if I have done it in the most efficient way, but you're
welcome to hack the code to do what you want - it is not complex code.

http://marshwiggle.net/xbacklightd/

cheers

dc

--
David Purton
dcpurton@marshwiggle.net

For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to
strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.
                                 2 Chronicles 16:9a