SuperGrubDisk (was: businesscard CD as rescue CD Tutorial?)

On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 12:44:59 -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

> Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>> Camaleón wrote:

>>> But SGB has support for Grub2, isn't it? :-?
>>>

>> I see this:
>> http://www.supergrubdisk.org/forum/index.php?topic=494.0 that says
>> 'Super GRUB2 disk 1.98s1 released'
>>
>> But I run SGD 0.9770. What I like about it is that you don't have to
>> hardcode the grub devices:
>>
>> findf        /wd80_0jd-60.06
>> root        $(out_device)
>>
>> finds the device that has file wd80_0jd-60.06 on it and uses that as
>> root. No more hardcoding!
>>
>> But I don't know if that function is available with the Super GRUB2
>> disk, I can't find anything on that, except the news that it has been
>> released and the download of the iso.
>>

> There is this:
> http://www.supergrubdisk.org/wiki/SGD_Howto_make_Custom
>
> but I don't know if that applies to the GRUB2 disk.
>
> And do you have to have GRUB2 installed in order to use the GRUB2 disk?
>
> I asked but noone answered. Must be a stupid question :-(

No, no stupid question at all. SGD is very good but I couldn't say the
same for their docs and help: they are "messy".

Anyway, I looked into their news forums and found this thread:

***
Last Super Grub Disk based on Grub legacy: 0.9798 released.
http://www.supergrubdisk.org/forum/index.php?topic=345.0
***

So I'm afraid the latest available versions only work for Grub2
installations and those having the legacy version installed on their
systems should use the old SGD releases :-/

Greetings,

--
Camaleón