Re: Automatic partial archive mirroring

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 01:40:59AM -0000, Cameron Hutchison wrote:
> I have a few debian unstable boxes that I like to keep up-to-date.
>
> Currently, I run apt-cacher-ng (a proxy for apt-get which stores
> packages so they don't need to be downloaded again) on my gateway box
> (lenny 32-bit), so I don't double download from my couple of other boxes
> (sid 64-bit). This works well enough, but I want to make it better.
>
> My internet connection has an off-peak period (2am-8am) where downloads
> are not counted in the monthly quota. I want my downloads to occur
> during this window, automatically.
>
> The problem is that the sid boxes are not powered-up during this window
> so I cannot just simply schedule a cronjob to do an apt-get -d
> dist-upgrade.
>
> I would like my lenny box to do this on behalf of my sid boxes. I dont
> really want to mirror the whole archive. Is there some way to do an
> intelligent partial mirror of the archive of what is installed on other
> boxes, without too much overhead of managing a package list? (i.e. I dont
> want to have to manually update some package list on my lenny box when I
> install a new package on a sid box).
>
> I've looked at apt-proxy, apt-cacher, apt-cacher-ng and approx, but they
> all appear to download on demand, not according to a schedule.

Take a look at debmirror's options. You can choose to download by
dist, section, protocol, arch, source/no source, include/exclude packages by
regexp matching, etc...
It can be easily scheduled and you can serve the packages afterwards
adding a

deb http://lighttpd.at.lenny.gw sid main contrib

to the other boxes' /etc/apt/sources.list.d/lenny.gw.list, for
example.

Would that be useful for you?

Obvious drawback: you'll possibly be pulling more than you need.

--
Huella de clave primaria: 0FDA C36F F110 54F4 D42B  D0EB 617D 396C 448B 31EB