[SOLVED] Re: problem running kernel compiled on different machine

Cameron Hutchison wrote:
> "H.S." <hs.samix@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Here are the grub.cfg stanzas for the current running kernel and for my
>> compiled kernel respectively:
>> #the default debian kernel
>>        initrd  /initrd.img-2.6.32-trunk-686
>
>> #kernel compiled by me the Debian way
>>        initrd  /initrd.img-2.6.32-100528-firewire
>
> Two things I can think to do next:
>
> 1) Change the initrd of your kernel to point to the original initrd. I
> dont know much about initrds (because I build all I need to boot into my
> kernels), but their purpose it to set up the kernel to get the right
> modules loaded to bootstrap the root filesystem. Since it looks like
> your problems _may_ be there, I'd try the original initrd (I say _may_
> because it looks to me like the rootfs is mounted, but it is failing to
> mount your other filesystems listed in /etc/fstab)
>
> 2) Boot your new kernel and get to the emergency shell. diff the two
> kernel configs (the working one and your new one) and see if they differ
> (run diff -u). If they do differ, you can start to look into why.

The kernel is still compiled the same way as last: config from target,
compiled on host, using initrd option.

But what is different now is that in the target machine I have changed
all the partitions from /dev/hdann (where nn is a number) to their
respective UUIDs. The same kernel is now working without problems.

Still, I would like to know what determines this behavior in the kernel.
If somebody can explain it, it would be great.

Cameron, you mentioned the possible problem in fstab and legacy drivers.
That is what led me to try this and that is what seems to have done the
trick (I don't think the source of config should matter in my case). Thanks.

ever having been read.