Re: problem running kernel compiled on different machine

"H.S." <hs.samix@gmail.com> writes:

>Here are the grub.cfg stanzas for the current running kernel and for my
>compiled kernel respectively:
>#the default debian kernel
>        initrd  /initrd.img-2.6.32-trunk-686

>#kernel compiled by me the Debian way
>        initrd  /initrd.img-2.6.32-100528-firewire

Two things I can think to do next:

1) Change the initrd of your kernel to point to the original initrd. I
dont know much about initrds (because I build all I need to boot into my
kernels), but their purpose it to set up the kernel to get the right
modules loaded to bootstrap the root filesystem. Since it looks like
your problems _may_ be there, I'd try the original initrd (I say _may_
because it looks to me like the rootfs is mounted, but it is failing to
mount your other filesystems listed in /etc/fstab)

2) Boot your new kernel and get to the emergency shell. diff the two
kernel configs (the working one and your new one) and see if they differ
(run diff -u). If they do differ, you can start to look into why.