Re: Squeeze and mobile broadbad...

arshad wrote:

> hi,
> this is my first question here,
> i want to know whether, mobile broad band works out of the box in
> squeeze?
> i use huawei ce0862 dongle to connect.

        No,I don't think so, but it's not terribly difficult to set up - once
you know how.

> it didn't work for me in lenny (in fact i didn't find a way to
> initiate a mobile broadband connection at the first place).
>
> have things changed from then??
>
> would i be able to connect easily to the internet?

Yes, but it probably requires a little setup.  First of all, if the
modem is a "flip-flop" device, you will need to get usb_modeswitch to
switch the modem from storage mode to modem mode.  Go to the following
link to read up on these devices and verify your dongle is supported.

http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch

        If the modem is not a "flip-flop" device, things get simpler, but I
strongly suspect the device you have is a "flip-flop" device.  Assuming
it is, you will need to download usb_modeswitch, use apt-get to obtain
pppd and probably a front-end for dialing.  There are a number
available, and which one you use depends on your personal tastes, the
desktop interface you are using, and how you will be using the device.

        If you choose,it's pretty simple to write a script which loads at boot
time and waits for the USB dongle to be inserted, then configures the
dongle and automatically connects to the internet.  Otherwise, you can
create a simpler script which you run manually whenever you want to
access the internet.  You could also create a hybrid setup which
configures the modem whenever it is inserted, but does not dial out.
Then you can initiate a dial-out connection when you want to connect.
It's also possible to have ppp wait for an attempt to access the
internet before dialing out.  It all depends on what you want to do.