Re: Ugrade from Lenny to Squeeze on old PC Box

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 9:15 PM, Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
> Stephen Powell put forth on 5/28/2010 8:18 AM:
>
>> I've had so many problems with migrations that I don't do them
>> anymore.
>
> My experience thus far is the exact opposite Stephen.  I have one server that
> I've in-place upgraded from Woody through Lenny, including hardware upgrades
> along the way (NIC, HD, IDE to SATA, piix to libata, same mobo though).
> That's 4 successive live distribution upgrades of a single host spanning 8
> years.  I'm sure servers can be easier due to usually having far fewer
> packages installed.  (knocks on wood)
>
> Now, the distro upgrade to Squeeze once it becomes Stable may be a different
> experience for me entirely, especially if it destroys LILO, installs Grub2,
> and hoses my system in the process.

On a fully-updated Lenny, you should be able to change your
sources.list to Squeeze and upgrade/downgrade lilo to grub-pc and
grub-common without pulling in any other Squeeze packages. You could
then reboot the box to make sure that it comes back up before
proceeding. Recovering from a grub2 disaster (if it happens) will be
easier without having to deal with any other potential Squeeze
surprises - like a switch from hdX to sdX.