Re: Ugrade from Lenny to Squeeze on old PC Box

On Thu, 27 May 2010 15:41:40 -0400 (EDT), Paul Chany wrote:

> I have an old PC Box on which I was run Debian Lenny with kernel
> 2.6.26-2-486. I used it as a Desktop for small jobs.
>
> Yesterday I decided to upgrade it to Squeeze.
> I did the following:
> 1 change the lenny to squeeze in sources.list
> 2 sudo aptitude update
> 3 sudo aptitude install apt dpkg aptitude
> 4 sudo aptitude full-upgrade
>
> When the full-upgrade process come to the 'udev' package, it can't
> upgrade to the squeeze version because the running kernel version wasn't
> enough new. So I decided to force the udev upgrade with creating the
> file: 'that I can't remember which name has'.
>
> After successfully upgrade udev and the remain packages, I install - or
> reinstall linux-image-2.6.30-2-486 and linux-image-2.6.32-3-486.
>
> I have installed the GRUB2 too but yet remain in testing state.
>
> When I booth with the linux-image-2.6.30-2-486 or
> linux-image-2.6.32-3-486 kernel I can't get the HOME and other
> directories but when I booth with the old kernel 2.6.26-2-486 then I get
> the HOME directory and can use the Squeeze system.
>
> How can I fix this so I can use the linux-image-2.6.32-3-486 kernel?
>
> Any advices will be appreciated!

The correct procedure for doing an upgrade from the previous stable
release to the current stable release is in the release notes for
the current stable release.  However, the migration procedure in the
release notes for the testing release is not usually updated until
just before the testing release becomes the stable release.  And the
procedure is rarely exactly the same from one release to the next.

My experience is that if you don't follow the specific migration
instructions to the letter in the release notes for the release to
which you are migrating, you will get yourself in trouble.  Furthermore,
you can't skip releases.  For example, you can't migrate from Etch
directly to Squeeze.  You have to migrate from Etch to Lenny and
then from Lenny to Squeeze.  Furthermore, even if you do everything
exactly right, you will usually end up with a number of old packages
installed on your system that you don't need.

I've had so many problems with migrations that I don't do them
anymore.  I keep /home on a separate partition; and when I'm ready
to upgrade to a new release, I reinstall, formatting the / partition
during installation.  The downside, of course, is the requirement
to re-install any packages that are not part of the standard
installation.  For some people, that may be a lot of work.  For me,
it generally isn't, since I run a fairly standard system.

That's my two cents worth.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :