Re: is firewire broken in Debain?

Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 05/28/2010 01:43 PM, H.S. wrote:
>> Ron Johnson wrote:
>>>
>>> I think that the "old" Firewire stack is still in the kernel.
>>>
>>> Googling "linux howto use old firewire stack", I found this link which
>>> might help:
>>>
>>> http://www.kdenlive.org/user-manual/troubleshooting-and-common-problems/troubleshooting-firewire-capture
>>>

>> BTW, regarding the older stack, I don't seem to have it in my current
>> kernel anymore (debian default kernel 2.6.32-trunk-686):
>>
>> Only older kernel has 1394 related modules:
>> $>  find /lib/modules/ -name "*1394*"
>> /lib/modules/2.6.26-2-686/kernel/drivers/ieee1394
> [snip]
>> /lib/modules/2.6.32-3-686/kernel/drivers/firewire/firewire-net.ko
>>
>> Looks like I have no choice in the default kernel in Debian Testing :(
>>

> You could always roll your own kernel!  :)

Yes, I could. I have done in the past and so it is not that new a
territory. However, this appears to be a continuing fiasco, unless I am
doing something wrong. In this day and age, I should have not roll a new
kernel for this kind of a problem. I mean, who in their right mind would
think "Ah! Forget the firewire problem, people can compile their own
kernel."?

Also, you seem to imply that I should roll my own kernel and include the
older firewire stack. I would rather I see why the newer one is not
working. It is supposed to work, right? If not, then it beats the
purpose! It appears to have matured quite a bit that the devs thought of
discarding the older one from the compiled kernels.

I have verified the same camcorder and the same cable on a Macbook Pro
and the camera is detected properly and the video is grabbed without any
problems; so the hardware is working properly. I have also tried the
same cable and camcorder on different machine running Debian Linux, no
luck. Debian appears to be broken in this respect. But it was not so in
the past. Kino used to work, dvgrab used to work. In fact, dvgrab has
saved me trouble time and again, it was that robust. I have never had
this much trouble to get firewire working ... and it is not over yet!

So, let me pose this question a bit differently. In today's Debian
Testing, is there anyone here who has successfully grabbed dv video from
a MiniDV camcorder at all using the newer firewire stack? And on a
related note, is there anyone here who had trouble and was able to
recompile the current Debian kernel to get this setup working?

ever having been read.