Re: is firewire broken in Debain?

On 05/28/2010 12:53 PM, H.S. wrote:
I used to grab video from my DCR TVR25 MiniDV camcorder without any
problems in the past on Debian Testing using Kino or dvgrab. Since some
kernel version and up, this has not been possible anymore.

I am now using Debian Testing, KDE and kernel 2.6.32-trunk-686.

I see that firewire is now handled differently in the kernel and that
/dev/fw? devices are formed instead of /dev/raw1394. Since Kino demands
the latter, I have created a symbolic link /dev/raw1394 to /dev/fw0 (or
fw1, as the case may be).

I have these modules loaded:
$>  lsmod | grep fire
firewire_sbp2           9575  0
firewire_net            9181  0
firewire_ohci          16477  0
firewire_core          30915  3 firewire_sbp2,firewire_net,firewire_ohci
crc_itu_t               1035  1 firewire_core
scsi_mod              101073  3 firewire_sbp2,sr_mod,libata

When I connect the DV camera to the firewire port, I get these error
[snip]
46:19 krnl [ 2432.443191] firewire_ohci: isochronous cycle inconsistent

Kino still doesn't work, I complains that raw1394 module is not
available. But those isochronous error message still trouble me. Anybody
now what is going on? How is one supposed to get around this problem?

I think that the "old" Firewire stack is still in the kernel.

Googling "linux howto use old firewire stack", I found this link which might help:

http://www.kdenlive.org/user-manual/troubleshooting-and-common-problems/troubleshooting-firewire-capture

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?