Re: lilo removal in squeeze (or, "please test grub2")

Stefan Monnier, le Wed 26 May 2010 14:23:44 -0400, a écrit :
> > for much.  But I am opposed to the removal of lilo.  Both grub-legacy and
> > grub-pc use sectors on the hard disk outside of the master boot record
> > (cylinder 0, head 0, sector 1).  In other words they use cylinder 0, head 0,
> > sector 2 and possibly subsequent sectors on cylinder 0 head 0.
>
> Really?

Yes.

> Never heard of it,

It's called stage 1.5, which contains the code for the filesystem
support.

> and it sounds very odd: why would they do
> that when they can use sectors on specified partitions?

Because the question is "where?".  The lilo approach is "inside the
filesystem", which can break. The grub approach is "right after MBR",
which needs room there.

Samuel