Re: "Give root password for maintence" during every boot of system

Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk> writes:

> On 23 May 2010, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>> Hi Mitchell,
>>
>> You might add
>>
>> ==
>> |su:S:wait:/sbin/sulogin|
>> ==
>>
>> in /etc/inittab.
>>

> But why was the OP getting the message in the first place? A couple of
> weeks ago I was also getting it and then it went away as mysteriously as
> it came.

I don't know why you suddenly started getting it, but it is what you
have when booting to single-user-mode.  The grub menu calls it "recovery
mode" and you can always get to it with "telinit 1".  In my grub menu
list of kernels, I see the "recovery mode" coming right after the normal
mode for each kernel.  I could see that if the line with normal mode was
disabled, missing or broken, grub might just skip down to recovery mode
which gives you the behavior.

--
Johan KULLSTAM