Re: "Give root password for maintence" during every boot of system

On 23 May 2010, Johan Kullstam wrote:
> Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk> writes:
>
> > On 23 May 2010, Merciadri Luca wrote:
> >> Hi Mitchell,
> >>
> >> You might add
> >>
> >> ==
> >> |su:S:wait:/sbin/sulogin|
> >> ==
> >>
> >> in /etc/inittab.
> >>

> > But why was the OP getting the message in the first place? A couple of
> > weeks ago I was also getting it and then it went away as mysteriously as
> > it came.
>
> I don't know why you suddenly started getting it, but it is what you
> have when booting to single-user-mode.  The grub menu calls it "recovery
> mode" and you can always get to it with "telinit 1".  In my grub menu
> list of kernels, I see the "recovery mode" coming right after the normal
> mode for each kernel.  I could see that if the line with normal mode was
> disabled, missing or broken, grub might just skip down to recovery mode
> which gives you the behavior.

Yes,  I know it's recovery mode but there didn't seem to be any reason
why it was coming up. Pressing Crtrl-D made everything happen normally.
Just one of the mysterious things that happen with computers, I suppose

Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk