Re: How to keep debian current??

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 11:00:41PM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:

> How about this instead of the last paragraph:
>
> ---
> Please note that the Security Team does not monitor unstable. It is up
> to the individual maintainer to fix the issue.

YES

> This may under circumstances take longer, e.g. if the maintainer is
> waiting for a new version from upstream.

Is this realistic description?  It is usually lazy mantainer or dead
upstream which delay such fixes.  Upstream fix should likely be around
if someone fixed that for stable.

> There are also no Debian Security Advisories
> (DSA) for issues that are present in the unstable version of a software,
> but not the versions in stable and/or testing.

I see... I now think placing pointer to FAQ should be good idea to
explain all these issues.

I need to think think about the context of these.  This was in
section describing "archive".  (I have other place where I say "For your
**production server**, the `stable` suite with the security updates is
recommended.")

So I am updating as:

TIP: If "`sid`" is used in the above example instead of
"`@-@codename-stable@-@`", the "`deb: http://security.debian.org/ ...`"
line for security updates in the "`/etc/apt/sources.list`" is not
required.   This is because there is no security update archive for
"`sid`" (`unstable`).

NOTE: The security bugs for the `stable` archive are fixed by the Debian
security team.  This activity has been quite rigorous and reliable.
Those for the `testing` archive may be fixed by the Debian testing
security team.  For several reasons, this activity is not as rigorous as
that for `stable` and you may need to wait for the migration of fixed
`unstable` packages.  Those for the `unstable` archive are fixed by the
individual maintainer.  Actively maintained `unstable` packages are
usually in a fairly good shape by leveraging latest upstream security
fixes. See http://www.debian.org/security/faq[Debian security FAQ]
for how Debian handles security bugs.