Re: How to keep debian current??

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 11:07:10AM -0500, Mark Allums wrote:
> On 5/17/2010 10:43 AM, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> >On Mon,17.May.10, 10:29:57, Mark Allums wrote:
> >
> >>Backwards.  Sid gets no security, AT ALL.  Testing get some.
> >
> >If some issue is fixed for stable the fix is also applied for unstable,
> >unless the maintainer is unresponsive or so. In practice this means that
> >unstable can be in better shape then testing at times.
> >
> >Regards,
> >Andrei
>
> Thank you.  This is contrary to what the main Debian site says in
> multiple places, but it is plausible.  Good to know.

Could you be more specific where you saw them or where you got this
impression?  So we can make corrective action to reduce confusion.

(Sid gets no corresponding "security" repository like
stable/updates nor testing/updates because we can upload directly to it
any time.)

I am thinking to add text to Debian reference to reduce such confusion.

Now:
If "sid" is used in the above example instead of "lenny", the "deb:
http://security.debian.org/ …" line for security updates in the
"/etc/apt/sources.list" is not required. Security updates are only
available for stable and testing (i.e., lenny and squeeze).

(I should have explained better.)

New:
If "sid" is used in the above example instead of "lenny", the "deb:
http://security.debian.org/ …" line for security updates in the
"/etc/apt/sources.list" is not required. This is because "sid"
(unstable) is always updated whenever security issues are fixed.  There
is no need to have a separate security update archive for "sid".

Osamu