Re: Chromium Xperience

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 19:15, KS <lists04@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been an Iceweasel user since it entered Debian repositories. A
> few days ago I discovered that Chromium was also available for Debian
> and installed it.
>
> I feel it is more responsive and is "faster" than Iceweasel This could
> be due to Chromium using different task for every tab it opens and using
> its own window decorations (Iceweasel uses GTK+ and I use KDE). Even
> with each tab increasing the use of memory by about 30MB, it still feels
> faster than Iceweasel. No real tests done here, but Chromium does win
> for responsiveness to a casual user.
>
> Being an Iceweasel user with the Adblock+ extension, I'm accustomed to
> (almost) adfree web browsing. This hasn't worked as smoothly with
> Chromium. There is an Adblock extension available for Chromium, but it
> works in a different way that it shows the advertisement while the page
> is loading and then hides the element. This is not as clean as Iceweasel
> (firefox). In addition, the extension didn't block Google adverts!
> Iceweasel takes this round (very important).
>
> And then comes the topic of shortcuts. I love the "/" shortcut for
> Iceweasel, Chromium still uses the two-key combination of Ctrl+F!
> Another fast shortcut is the Ctrl+Shift+Del which brings up the priate
> data delete box. In Chromium one has to go through either preferences or
> first History > Edit Items and then delete.
>
> Chromium was also behaving oddly when playing flash video on full
> screen. The video was full screen but behind the browser window!
>
> The Adblock+ advantage with Iceweasel is the one factor which might keep
> me away from Chromium unless better adblocking is implemented.
>
> What is the experience of other users who have tested out Chromium in
> Debian?

I have the dev build installed. I used it a bit to play with Youtube's
html5 version.
I guess it's kind of fast, but I didn't really notice, although I
didn't feel like using
in a realistic browsing session of mine. I am kind of curious about how it
would work when every session involves reopening 50-120 tabs (which is
normal for me), but I can't tolerate the UI for that long -_-

To the extent I did use it, it worked ok. On one of the dev updates, html5
audio was broken, but I filed a bug and it was soon fixed.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers