Re: PDF printing - was: Re: Flash is open?

On Sat, 15 May 2010 15:46:36 -0400, John A. Sullivan III wrote:

> On Sat, 2010-05-15 at 13:50 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>> Mmmm... I'm not sure to fully understand the problem :-?

(...)

>> Is that what are you referring about or are you (or your clients)
>> experiencig another problem?

> In this case, the client had a Ricoh MP W3600 plotter although, if I
> recall correctly, we had the same problem with all the printers - it was
> just more obvious with the plotter.  Let's say they wanted to send a
> 24x36 drawing to the plotter.  If they send it through any of the FOSS
> PDF viewers, it prints a 24x36 job but the image is always the default
> paper size, i.e., the drawing would be reduced to 8.5x11 and printed in
> the middle of a 24x36 piece of paper.  In some cases, we sent two pages
> per side - reducing and rotating the drawings to fit two per page.  In
> this case, two 8.5x11 images appeared on the large sheet!

I see... just two things:

1/ Printer driver is vital for a correct paper size detection, but I've
seen that Ricoh provides a PostScript driver for that device (MP W3600
plotter) so this shouldn't be a problem at all in your case.

2/ Printer settings (in CUPS) and PDF viewer settings paper size for
printing. These values are also important, I mean, if you are sending a
PDF file with a custom size you have to previously (an manually) adjust
the paper size settings accordingly before sending the job for printing.
This can be done in Evince very easily.

If you do not tweak this, the default CUPS settings for that printer will
prevail for the job.

> Acroread is not without flaws either.  Versions previous to 9.3.2 could
> not see our CUPS print server's printers.  9.3.2 can see them but,
> whenever it prints, it sends the default page region.  Thus, if I
> directly choose, say this 3600 plotter, and send a 36x48 drawing, I see
> acroread has created a print job with -o PageSize=36x48 but also with -o
> PageRegion=A4 (or whatever either the ppd default is or the first
> PageRegion listed in the ppd if no default is defined).  We've seen the
> same thing when trying to send 11x17 jobs to other printers - it prints
> Letter size (or whatever the default PageRegion is).  We've escalated to
> Ricoh but this really smells like an acroread bug.

Yep. Acrobat Reader has its own glitches. Last time I tested in a linux
box (that was 2 years ago) was not very "friendly" when choosing the
printer and/or printer options and required manual user intervention :-/

OTOH, it made "auto-scalation" and "auto-rotation" of the output document
quite well :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón