LVM spanning multiple encrypted drives

I use LUKS drive encryption on several machines on my network. The problem I have is that every time I attempt to set up LVM which spans multiple drives, it decrypts the first one, then panics because it can't see the rest of the PVs, because they are still encrypted. For instance, the my backup machine has a 250GB and 500GB partition. If I could combine the two drives in one LVM, I would have nearly 700GB available for backups. Unfortunately, I have to put the second drive on a separate volume group, which limits me to 500gb.

The fix is probably simple, but I haven't found the right combination of secret sauce to get all drives decrypted before the system issues vgchange -a y, which results in a panic or other Bad Things.

Does anyone know the right way to get the drives decrypted first?

--b