aptitude update thinks there are no updates! (solved by deleting apt/lists)

Hi all,

After about a fortnight, I tried to update my Debian squeeze desktop,
and I was using the mirror.cse.iitk.ac.in mirror. After downloading
the repository lists, it tells me there are no updates -- I am
surprised as I know that Gnome 2.30 is already in testing. Thinking
that it could be a problem with the mirror, I switch to
ftp.ch.debian.org and update. This time, it does say there are about
300 updates.

I issue a safe-upgrade, but the electricity goes out just as the
updates begin downloading. After I turn the computer back on, issuing
a safe-upgrade shows there are no updates! I try to aptitude update
but it thinks that the repositories are already updated, though
apt-cache show nautilus gives the version 2.28.4. As I was in a hurry
at the time, I just deleted /var/lib/apt/lists, so aptitude had no
choice but to really download the lists. After this the safe-upgrade
proceeded as usual. I realised after deleting /var/lib/apt/lists that
I should have kept a copy, but too late.

Though the problem is (in a sense) solved, I am curious as to how this
(bug?) could have occurred. After all this I checked
mirror.cse.iitk.ac.in  and it does have nautilus 2.30.1, so maybe the
first no-updates scenario was also caused by this bug/problem.

Abhishek
--
Please cc me as I am not subscribed to debian-user.