Re: aptitude update thinks there are no updates! (solved by deleting apt/lists)

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 05:53:05PM +0530, Abhishek Dasgupta wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After about a fortnight, I tried to update my Debian squeeze desktop,
> 300 updates.
>
> I issue a safe-upgrade, but the electricity goes out just as the
> updates begin downloading. After I turn the computer back on, issuing
> a safe-upgrade shows there are no updates! I try to aptitude update

The power going out during this process has caused this.

> but it thinks that the repositories are already updated, though
> apt-cache show nautilus gives the version 2.28.4. As I was in a hurry
> at the time, I just deleted /var/lib/apt/lists, so aptitude had no

OK, so "/var/lib/apt/lists" was probably corrupted.

>I am curious as to how this (bug?) could have occurred.

Well, the power going out has obviously affected "/var/lib/apt/lists"
could be because the kernel didn't have a chance to flush its write
buffers?

>After all this I checked
> mirror.cse.iitk.ac.in  and it does have nautilus 2.30.1, so maybe the
> first no-updates scenario was also caused by this bug/problem.

The mirror could have synced meantime.

   -- Napoleon Bonaparte