Re: Switching from NV to Nouveau in Squeeze

On 5/12/2010 6:49 AM, Snood wrote:

I'm looking forward to seeing if nouveau will be an improvement,
performance-wise, without causing reliability issues.

I am, however, going to wait and install nouveau the easy way, once the
upgrade to xserver-xorg-core becomes available in the repository. If
this weren't my main system I might be tempted to experiment, but I just
need this thing to keep working.

People running non-stable (even squeeze) are going to run into problems now and then. It's an unavoidable certainty. nouveau is, well, new. There are going to be problems with it.

Regarding reliability of video drivers: Running many different things, hardware- and driver-wise, over time, I have learned that dpkg-reconfigure is your friend, especially

dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-2.6.32-5

which regenerates the initrd.img. (I needed this recently. Substitute the package name of your kernel.) Occasionally very helpful, that, when troubleshooting drivers.

MAA