Re: X starting but nothing shows on the screen

Anthony Campbell wrote:
On 08 May 2010, Ólafur Jens Sigurðsson wrote:
Hello, I have a strange problem.

If X is started from gdm at bootup or with /etc/init.d/gdm start then
it starts (I know this since it beeps when it is up and running) but
nothing shows on the screen. The same thing happens when I use startx
and I have icewm in my .xinitrc. But if I have no .xinitrc file and I
use startx then Gnome comes up fine.

I am using sid and have just made an upgrade to my system (I hadn't
done a upgrade in quite a while and did an upgrade a few days ago then
my problems started) so it is up to date.

Any ideas on what could be wrong here?

Cheers, Óli

Which kernel? With 2.6.32-5-685, X always locks up here? The mouse
freezes and all the keys are inactive so I have to do a hard reset. This
happens with both the nv and vesa drivers.

I had that last January:
but with 2.6.32-trunk-686 and nvidia proprietary drivers.

Upgrade of X and drivers to NVIDIA-Linux-x86-195.36.15 and xserver-xorg-core 2:1.7.6-1 on March 28 "fixed" it.

Now I run either linux-image-2.6.32-3-686 and 195.36.24 or 2.6.33.3 and the former and system is solid.

I can't run a 2-seater without proprietary driver.

Hugo